|Coo-ee March in Macquarie Rd springwood, 1915|
|Emma Lawson in 1922|
When the railway was opened to the Weatherboard (Wentworth Falls) in 1867 the stimulus was provided for residential settlement. In the following decades the speed, comfort and reliability provided by trains encouraged many of the affluent members of Sydney's ruling class to purchase land and build country retreats in the Blue Mountains. The Springwood area, in particular, became a popular choice: Sir Henry Parkes established "Stonehurst" as his country home in 1877 and several years later built “Faulconbridge House”; the Hon. Charles Moore MLC MLA erected "Moorecourt", later used by the Springwood Ladies College, in 1876; the Hon. John Frazer MLA engaged Varney Parkes to design his residence "Silva Plana" in 1881; and the Hon. James Norton MLC built "Euchora" in 1884.
|James Hunter Lawson with Ernest and Ethel Urquhart at the entrance to "Braemar" (Photograph courtesy of Miss S. E. Lawson)|
|Tom Garrett in 1936|
Photo courtesy Wikimedia
|Official Opening 1988: Library Manager - Drusilla Wendolowski, Mayor Jim Angel,|
Member for Blue Mountains Bob Debus; Lindsay Paish - Braemar Management Committee